jump at the chance: chớp cơ hội
- VD : Accidentally my phone fell out of my pocket. A passenger just jumped at the chance to pick it up and take it away from me.
Do an about-face/ about-turn : có thay đổi lớn
- VD : I’d only gone a little way down the street when I remembered I hadn’t locked the door, so I made/did a quick about-turn.
To chicken out : không dám làm gì đó
- VD : My friends told me to try skiing next week. But I chicken out.
Be up for it: luôn sẵn sàng làm gì đó
- VD : you want to eat at KFC for dinner? I’m up for it.
To weather the storm / step up to the plate: chịu trách nhiệm
- VD : That was totally his fault. He needs to step up to the place about that now.
To go through a rough patch : gặp phải vấn đề
Hit an obstacle rock : gặp khó khăn
- VD : His car his an obstacle rock
Be more trouble than it’s worth: Nhiều khó khăn hơn là những gì nó đáng giá
- VD : Being in a relationship with a famous person is more trouble than it’s worth
Not for the faint-hearted: không dành cho người yếu tim
- VD : Paranormal activities is the film that is completely not for the faint-hearted
Screw things up: làm đổ vỡ / phá tung mọi chuyện
- VD : Everything was perfect until he screwed things up
Be up shit creek : trong tình thế khó khăn
- VD : If more people still want to resign, our company will be up the creek.
Run into a problem/a snag: gặp phải vấn đề
- VD : His system runs into a snag when the boss had the car accident.
As chance would have it: Thật tình cờ…
- VD : As chance would have it, I met him at the supermarket after 10 years of losing contact.
Don’t tempt fate / don’t push your luck: Đừng có thử vận may
- VD : You’re probably going to fail the test. Don’t try to tempt fate
Famous last words: Nói trong trường hợp ai đó có nói những thứ quá sớm nên sai lầm
- VD: I told him categorically that we could never be anything more than friends. Famous last words! Within a few months we were engaged.
We’ll live to regret that: Rồi chúng ra sẽ phải ân hận
- VD : Sending grandma to the nursing house is a wrong decision. We’ll live to regret that!
Bide one’s time : Chờ thời cơ
- VD : He bides his time for the best bargain of the phone.
Hang fire: Phanh, hoãn việc gì lại (UK)
- VD : Ideally we should need to settle the matter as soon as possible. However I think we should hang fire until the situation becomes better
knuckle down: Cố sức
- VD : The test is coming in 2 days. He really needs to knuckle down to studying
Let’s go for it : Hãy bất đầu làm thôi
- VD : You want us to try this dual singing contest? Let’s go for it.
To play by ear: Cố đoán
- VD : As our schedule doesn’t sync with each other, I guess we’ll have to play by ear tomorrow to see if we had any chance to talk
Seize the day: chớp lấy thời cơ của hiện tại
- VD : There’s no time like present. Seize the day!