Tienganhonline.net: Từ chỉ người xấu
* Be bad news: chỉ ai đó hoặc cái gì đó mà ta nên tránh thì tốt hơn
Ex: I would never go with her. She’s bad news.
* A fair-weather friend: chỉ người bạn tồi. Những người mà chỉ là bạn khi ta thành công
Ex: I knew it before-hand that she is just a fair-weather friend who now has completely abandoned us when things suddenly went wrong.
* His bark is worse than his bite: “Chó sủa chó không cắn”
* (give someone) A kick in the teeth: chỉ việc muốn dạy cho ai đó bài học. (ở tiếng Anh người ta “dạy ai đó bài học” bằng cách đấm vào răng)
Ex: I don’t think we need to reason with him anymore. He won’t listen to anything we say. What he needs is just a kick in the teeth.
* (to be) a pain in the neck/ass: (chỉ cái gì đó) làm người khác hay bực mình
Ex: Having to read all of this long and boring novel is really a pain in the neck.
* It takes all sorts to make a world: Đời này có nhiều loại người mà
Ex: – Several customers of this hotel are very unpleasant. They complain all the time
– it takes all sorts, doesn’t it?
* He thinks he is God’s gift to women: Anh ấy nghĩ cô gái nào cũng si mê anh ấy
Ex: I’ve gone to visit John yesterday and I couldn’t believe how he has changed. He was talking about beautiful girls he had in recent years. He thinks he is God’s gift to women. John has changed a lot indeed.
* He thinks the world owes him a living: Anh ấy nghĩ anh ấy giỏi hơn bất kỳ ai khác (trong nghề nghiệp)
Ex: the last candidate for this position is very arrogant. He thinks the world owes him a living. I think we shouldn’t employ him.
*(all) sweetness and light: dùng để chỉ ai đó tốt bụng quá mức mà có thể dẫn đến nghi ngờ.
Ex: She has been beaten and insulted by her boyfriend Jack and now when Jack asks her to come back she agrees right away. It’s all sweetness and light.